Re: Duty cycle of OBIT?

Hi Matt and Jon,

Just because the application has low duty cycle, doesnt mean the transformer is not robust. I would think knowing how its built could shed some lite on this. Is the xformer packed in tar?? or open air, etc. I dont have any experience with these so I just wonder :-))

Gerry R

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
In simple terms, No. An OBIT is designed to initiate an arc and then just maintain the arc @ 22ma until the fuel ignites and heats a thermocouple enough to open the contact on its primary side. It then sits dormant during the room heating part of the cycle. When the main thermostat closes the fuel valve and the OBIT thermocouple cools off enough to close the contact again, the cycle is repeated. Neon signs, except for flashing ones, are supplying some power all the time. OBITs work, at most, about one minute out of ten or fifteen for part of the year. and the peak voltage is only to initiate the arc, and to maintain the tiny arc in air. Thus, they are less long-term robust than NSTs.

Hope this helps.

Matt D.