Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 2:52 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] flourescent light trick

that is exactly what I am saying, the part I do not understand is why the tube all but "shuts off" when I touch it to the ground while using a breakout point,
   Different levels of energy available to the lamps.
   cf as below.

but if I am not using a breakout point,
   This increases the available power (roughly speaking....)

it roughly doubles in brightness (I am always holding the tube in my hand, one end on the ground)!
I believe i concur with Gary's explantion, which matches my understanding
    of the physics.

The terminal voltage (which relates to radiated power) is different in each case. With a break outpoint attached, the voltage is lower, due to the load created by the streamer from the breakout point. This lowering of the terminal voltage reduces the 'radiated' (and also: capacitively coupled) power available to light the lamp. Additionally, the energy that goes into the
      breakout point streamer is NOT available to light the lamp.

With NO breakout point, terminal voltage rises: less (no?) energy is wasted
      in streamers, more is available for lighting the lamp.

(As it happens, recently, by coincidence, with my small coil set up for Halloween,
      i ran sort of the same exercise, got essentially the same result.)

While it is 'common' to associate Tesla Coils with lotsa flashy sparks, my recollection is that Tesla described a (hypothetical) 'working' transmission
    coil as 'surrounded by pale violet glow', NOT the flashy sparks.

Are you saying that the tube glows brighter if a breakout point is not used, and is dimmer if a breakout point is used? This makes sense, as running without a breakout point permits the topload to achieve a higher voltage, resulting in a greater E-field. Neat observation if I understand correctly - I've not tried that!

I didn't understand the consequences of grounding vs. hand-holding the tube. Two variables here.
    best
dwp