Re: [TCML] capacitor resonance

Hi Bert, all,

Chris Swinson wrote:
Hi all,
My Variable capacitor,
http://www.future-technologies.co.uk/IMPULSE/newcoilprog/new-cap1.jpg

Has a resonance of 380khz, Has anyone got any ideas what is causing this ?

cheers, chris

Hi Chris,

Sounds much too low - most likely a measurement error of some type.

Can you provide a photo or a schematic of the test setup you used to
measure this?

Bert
--

I also noticed that my SCR was still connected to the capacitor, I removed it and the frequency on my capacitor went to about 1mhz. There appears to be lesser level harmonics now.

For the hell of it, I tested the SCR and that resonates at 450khz!

My SCR is large, bolted to a large heatsink.. which would act as 2 capacitor plates. I don't know if that is the problem or not.

So I have 2 problems, the SCR and the capacitor :-(

I really do not know where these figures come from. I tested a few other fixed value caps and couldn't find any frequency with them at all. So the problem is only with my SCR and Variable capacitor...

The SCR connects to ground and then to the primary (not connected currently) and the variable capacitor (now not connected) so there is nothing connected to the SCR at all other than a ground connection (which does not actually go anywhere as its unpluged from the mains anyway)

*shrugs*

Chris