RE: [TCML] Primary selfC

Hi Paul,

Thank you for chiming in.  This is something that is counter-intuitive and perplexes me too.  Perhaps you can shed some needed light.

Intuition suggests that Cself is dependant on more than just the overall dimensions of a coil - that the capacitance between adjacent turns would factor prominently.  Would a space-wound coil have the same Cself as a close-wound coil wound on the same form?  Would a ribbon-wound coil (case in point) with air between the turns have the same Cself as the same coil with a high k dielectric between the turns?

No doubt the answer is yes to both, but it's not clear why.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Lau
MA, USA