Re: [TCML] Series Transformers

In a message dated 6/17/08 9:44:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pslawinski@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>> Step Down transformers run in reverse.  The transformers  have taps for
>> neutral 100V 110V on the primary.  On the  secondary neutral  420 480 550.
>
>I have a nice variac 20A rated and 0-270V output with 120V  in.  I was able

>to wire them in series and ran them up to 2970V @ 800mA.

Something is wrong there. You're exceeding the  voltage rating of one of your
transformer secondaries by at least 2.7 times.  Only way to get that out is
to put at least that much more in to the primary.  At that kind of primary
overload, your transformers will have a life of only a  few minutes (even less
when the secondary is under load).

>Is 2970V too low to run a TC  efficiently?
    That's an unusually low primary voltage for a  spark-gap coil.
    You're probably driving those poor transformers  heavily into saturation,
so efficiency has already gone out the window.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities