Re: [TCML] Chokes and Terry filters

I also never run my total main gap at more than 200 mils (0.200") when
running with nst power.  I usually set each safety gap off each nst bushing
at 180 mils max using a calipers.  I use the McMaster-Carr 5/8" dia brass
balls for each hot and also for the central ground electrode.  If the tuning
isn't sharp some flashovers can occur on the safety gap.  I usually tune
with an oscope & sig generator, and then use a variac for 35% power tuning
before opening up to full power.

I also get rather cautious with the coeff. of coupling.  I've noted that in
many cases JAVATCs suggested value (rather tight) always seems to produce
shorter spark outputs than a slightly looser coupling value.  Personally, I
like 0.10 to 0.13 range, and usually never more than 0.14 with a classic
type spark gap.  This range usually gives me the longest sparks with normal
coil design in the 4 to 10 inch sec diameter range.

The DRSS type coils seem to tolerate a value of 0.14 to 0.18.  Anything over
0.18 is usually asking for problems especially with coils that will be
operated each and every day.

After reading Ritchie's excellent report, I also bumped all my cap values up
to 1.4 x Cres.

I like to unpot my nsts and get them in oil even if only operating at normal
values.  The xmfr oil seems to be a good secret to long life with your nst.
Most experimenters also obtain used nsts (good price is why) and one can
never tell how long they have been stressed in previous service.  Sometimes
only for 6-12 months and sometimes for an eternity.  This makes qualitative
comparisons rather difficult.

Seems to perform well.

Regards,

D.C. Cox