Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:05 PM
Subject: [TCML] Are safety gaps necessary?

I changed the Subj: line to reflect the topic...

Way to stir the mud, Bart!  It's good to make us examine our practices.

I thought about your post quite a bit. Yes, it does seem hard to justify a separate static safety gap that is in parallel with the main static gap. I think we've had to do some hand waving and wiggling when we describe to newbies the procedure for separately setting the main and safety gaps. And I fully agree that a static gap is extremely unlikely to fail in the way that an RSG might. So I was about to join the heresy and agree that safety gaps appear to be redundant and unnecessary with a static gap.

I slept on it and it dawned on me this morning. What happens when a streamer strikes the primary? If one exists, the 3-terminal safety gap fires, channeling the streamer's energy safely to RF ground. If one didn't have a 3-terminal safety gap, the only path for that streamer energy is through the NST. I think the NST would be happy that the 3-terminal gap exists!

So I stand by the advice to use a 3-terminal safety gap.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA