Re: [TCML] PFC Question (again)

Bart & John:

I don't use variacs anymore.  I just use a larger ballast and a motor drive
to slowly remove the laminated core over a period of 15 seconds.  It gives
precise control of 220 Volt current over a wide range.  Be sure to meter the
current.

When the contactor closes 220 V is applied across the pole xmfr, however,
due to magnetizing current (typical 3-4 Amps), with the core all the way in
there is not enough current to charge the cap bank, so no operation as this
low current can barely provide enough current to magnetize the xmfr core.
Then the core is slowly pulled out and the current increases to the value
you require.  Of course, you have to take care to wind the ballast with
really large wire such as 6 AWG, and we use small 3/16 x 3/16" phenolic
spacers between winding layers.  I usually wind around 280 turns on the core
box (takes more because a Variac itself, with it's inductance, also operates
as a limited semi-ballast).  With a pole xmfr this gives (short circuit)
approximately 3-4 Amps.  I use a small reversable DC motor drive (Grainger)
with a lead screw to pull the core out and I can set any value from 3 Amps
to 70 Amps without an expensive variac!  Typical core with 3 x 4.5 inch
cross section (larger for 15-20 kVA systems) seems optimum.

Variacs are really a thing of the past as current control is necessary and
voltage control totally unneccesary in most applications involving PTs and
pole pigs.

Dr. Resonance