From: Dr. John W. Gudenas <comsciprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:01 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] VTTC New Grid Coil Geometry

Over the past two months I have been experimenting with a different grid coil geometry.  On my dual 833A coil I fabricated a flat pancake coil out of 14 awg wire for grid feed back. The inner diameter is approximately the same as the primary solenoid.
It has 24 turns and is placed 1" under the lowes
t secondary winding. The whole arrangement is covered by a phenolic disc and presents the appearance that the grid coil doesn't exist.

With this geometry I have changed the coupling association that exists among the three coils. I haven't as yet determined the exact relationships, albeit it works great.  The coil required some tuning changes that were accomplished by reducing the secondary self capacitance with a smaller toriod and minor adjustment of the grid leak resistor.

I use two identical plate transformers 2800 volts @ 280 ma in parallel through a doubler. I need to lower the coil as it power arcs around 24" to the floor joists above. I suspect continuous 30" corona at full variac.  I have no time now to work on it as I ended up on the University Personnel Committee deciding tenure issues.  As far as I know this is a different approach to grid coils. Flash over is completely eliminated and I suspect (but have not proved) there is greater magnetic coupling to the primary.  Bert Hickman was over a few weeks ago and saw the prototype. When things settle down I'll put up some pictures.  You have. I believe, a new alternative now. Let me see what you folks can do with it.
Regards
John W. G.

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science