Re: [TCML] VTTC New Grid Coil Geometry

Greetings John
The pancake grid coil, on initial experiments, seems to be a very stable arrangement. I did find that I could reduce the number of turns on the pancake so that the variac could be cranked up higher before the voltage was sufficient to oscillate. This is a minor advantage as you can run up the plate voltage without hitting the grid with too much voltage. As with all VTTC tuning was critical. Simply using the reduced size toroid improved performance greatly. I won't know exactly how improved, until I get the thing on a lower bench, but when you have been around these VTTCs it isn't hard to see improvement. However, the sound and spark quality was consistent with the standard arrangement. I don't need a staccato controller yet and digital pictures verify the sword like sparks. What is amazing are the bright white power arcs and I am not sure yet how long they get. This coil has no metal except for wires & toroid and is five feet away from the power supply and oscillator, however, the tank capacitor is adjacent to the coil with short leads.

It keeps the coil away from me ( reduce RF burns) and other surrounding elements that act as stray capacitance or antennas. My next run will use an HV twisted pair for the grid leak leads. There is much yet to learn, especially understanding the coupling Physics of the three coils.

One thing, you are right on. It looks really neat and clean with the hidden grid coil and flash over is eliminated.

Incidentally, thanks for spinning all the different size toroids. Due to your efforts I have accumulated a set that stacks like a toroid christmas tree.
Regards
John W. G.

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science