Re: [TCML] Varnishing Secondary

Hey Matthew...

Coating secondaries with the proper material is secondary to what the wire was wound on ( the tube you wound it on basically). If you wound the wire on something that was semi- conductive ( lets say black PVC sewer pipe) than the coating will be as "effective" as its tube you wound it on. But lets say that you wound it on something really insulative such as Lexan.... than we can delve into the proper perspective of what coating would be proper.... original old time coatings would be the "real" shaliac made from the juice of beatles ( not the group from the 60's) then there is Varnish and there are 50 different varieties available, then as we update to the present time... Behr used to have a product that was awesome but aged and became brittle, but the newest coating is from ( if I remember correctly Dolphs? Dolfs)( Dr. Res knows the proper name) supposedly its really an awesome product!!! Goes on smoothe, lays on really flat with minimal coats and gives the glass like finish everyone is looking for..

But I have to ask the question, what are you looking for?? Cosmetics or excellent phyisical output from your secondary?? That is one question that needs to be answered first...

Scot D

Matthew Stevens wrote:

I was wondering how many coats of varnish would be advisable for the outside
of the secondary coil? I put two coats on mine, but have read conflicting
things about how many is best. Does anyone have any opinions?

Thanks,
Matthew