Re: [TCML] Chris Bohrs' RF burn

Thanks Chris for the explaning the situation. I suspect a near field coupled situation. I've had shocks from variacs and what not usually with my pig ballast (up until I grounded it), but never tried holding a secondary. Kind of interesting. It's one thing to get the nasty shocks from objects, but quite another to get a deep rf burn, and that is what is interesting. An rf burn runs deep and in your situation, the secondary must have been resonating to some degree to do that. This is not the type of shock you get with any old object like, control cabinets, ballast knobs, etc..

Take care,
Bart

Christoph Bohr wrote:
Hello Bart

I wouldn't call this a beginners mistake.
I've never heard of someone getting an rf burn from holding another
secondary, but then, it's not a common situation.
Was the secondary completely unconnected to anything else (sort of say a
small secondary coil)?
The situation was as follows. I was sitting on a chair in front of the
coil that was standing on the floor, aproximately 2 feet away from the
secondary. To my right there was a 4"x12" secondary wound with AWG28 iirc
which was unconnected,both open ends of the wire from the coil were
wrapped around a piece of wood on the top of the coil form, which
should hold a toroid when in use in a TC. I picked the coil up by the
wooden part, at the sime time touching both wire ends with the middle
finger of my right hand. After some 5 seconds I felt pain in my finger and
let go, at the same time there was a strange smell. After that I had a
very small, jet very painfull hole in my finger. It hurt really bad
considering the very small size. However, three days later it already
hurts a lot less...

The "free coil" was ca 2/3 the size of the exciting coil, Fres might have
been in a similar range bit certainly not identical.

best regards

Christoph Bohr

Bart