Re: [TCML] MOT Measurements

Hi Herwig,

Using your 2232Vrms, 70 ohm, 30.4H, this is what the transformer looks like.
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/mot-cres-herwig1.gif

As you can see, the dual 330nF is not at all of any significant resonance (the graph is in 100nF steps due to the transformer itself). The voltage seen for a dual 330nF setup is no where near the 3675V. I must assume the MOT leakage inductance is in error. I also have your email when you mentioned you tested the MOT and had calculated a 2.78A primary open circuit draw (series'd all those meters) and you listed the MOT written specs also. Looking at that data, it appears the MOT is rated for 220Vin and 2300Vout. Based on your 230V input during measurement and previous current measurement, I come up with 263.3mH Ls and 28.8H Lp. I then graphed Cres another time for that set up.
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/mot-cres-herwig2.gif

Quite a change, but still no significant resonant charging noted until about 2000nF.

My conclusion is that the MOT leakage inductance is not accurate if you measured 3675V with the caps connected. Just to be sure, did you attach any type of capacitive load during the 3675V measurement (beyond the dual 300nF caps)?

Bart

Herwig Roscher wrote:
I am not so experienced in simulations as you are. Therefore I would like to accept your generous offer to run the simulation with my MOT data: no-load-output-voltage = 2232 Vrms, dc-resistance of secondary winding = 70 Ohms, calculated secondary inductance = 30,4 H, all the other parts were copied from Piranha II.