Re: [TCML] Stuck at 36"

Hi John, Joe,

I think the ID is fine. It depends on the vertical position of the primary in respect to the secondary, and I didn't see those numbers listed (unless I missed them?).

One thing I noticed is that for this coil (even with plenty of ht changes with the primary), for the coil to tune in at the 12 to 13 turn range as stated, then the primary total tank capacitance is nearer to 0.027uF. Likely the plate caps are calculated values and I expect that all these caps are in series.

For myself, it's difficult for me to figure out what spark length you should expect. Granted, the easy calculation is 7.5kV at 180mA. We would normally expect about 50" length at best, and given your gap setting, I would even expect 60", but I'm sure there are losses causing the lower spark length. Where those losses reside can be difficult to find. The obvious spot is the gap (this is the #1 player with losses). The stacked NST's may also have some losses as well as the caps.

The only way to find losses is by component intervention. For the caps, the MMC route is ideal, but you may want to move the capacitance up a little to 0.045uF to take advantage of some resonant charging (this would cause tuning at about 10 turns). For the transformers, I would leave them as they are. The gap is of course the "looker". Add more volume of air flow over the segments. You might even want to reduce the segments to 5 and increase the individual segment spacings for an equivalent breakdown voltage (if practical).

Take care,
Bart

johnbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
hello bigjohn,the first thing I notice is the
primary ID is about an inch or so too big.
joe