Re: [TCML] Re: The current recordholders?

Finn Hammer skrev:

Greg, all, No need to excuse, and you made a very funny post.

Obviously, when preposterous claims like this last one from Durlin Cox's, we all react with humor. If we didn't, we'd feel compelled to use wordings not suitable for a public forum like this :-) .

Makes me think of a line from the new Clint Eastwood film Grand Torino:
"Do you ever wonder when you come across a man you shouldn't have messed with?, well that's me!"

Let me rephrase it to suit this situation:
"Do you ever wonder when you come across a guy, whose word you can´t trust? Well, that's him!"

If not, I mean, who are we kidding but ourselves, for christ's sake.

Anyway, the bluff has been called, so peace be with it.

Cheers, Finn Hammer    *

Greg Leyh skrev:
Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the confusion, that was my poor attempt at humor. I’ve no plans to do any of those things to the experimental coil. I was just trying to stress that power is not a useful metric, anymore than a coil’s weight, or its cost.

Regarding the 60ft, 78ft and 120ft arc length claims listed below, there’s not much that I could add; I honestly don’t know where such numbers come from. Personally, I’ve never seen Electrum produce more than 30-40ft discharges. I can offer a photo of Electrum producing discharges about 30ft in length:

http://www.lightninglab.org/misc/ElectrumArcMsmt.jpg

For scale, I placed a 6ft person in the sphere, which is about 7ft in diameter. The longest discharge in the photo is about 5 people, or 30ft in length. When the wind comes from the harbor, the arcs occasionally strike the steep hill behind Electrum, connecting to a cluster of shrubbery there that becomes quite aromatic when struck. We measured the straight-line distance to the shrubbery at about 38ft.

The above photo was shot in July 2008 by Alistair Keddie and Stuart Page of Big Alba Photography. The full photo can be viewed here:

http://my-expressions.com/up_media/2764/pblog/2817/1218834965.jpg

Along with most folks here I’d like to see photos of 120ft, 78ft or even 55ft arcs, produced by any type of machine. There's reason to hope we might still see such arcs, within the next ten years.

-GL