RE: [TCML] Extrodinarily Rudimentary Question From Newbiest Naif

There are many interesting answers to your question coming about. (you
asked a good question!)]
My way of grasping this (and others will probably disagree) is as
follow:
The topload of a tesla coil represents one plate of a capacitor.
Everything that surrounds the coil represents the other plate of the
capacitor...the walls of the room, the ceiling, ect. Voltage at this
potential can make a return path through materials that are great
insulators at "normal" potentials, and so those materials also can act
as a capacitive medium as well.
The dielectric between the two plates is air, and once the potential has
built to a level great enough to overcome the dielectric resistance of
air, and the topload is "filled" beyond its storage capacity, the
electron field grows around it and seeks the path of least resistance to
ground. Point your finger at it and you're it. I like to think that this
field will pull ionized atoms from whatever matter is nearby...a really
mind blowing phenomenon to wrap your head around. Its all about a lack
of balance, and the passionate will of high potential to regain that
balance.
(you can substitute a spark gap in place of the capacitor if that makes
more sense)
Maybe just my eccentric view..but it works for my conception of it.