Re: [TCML] Alternate RF Ground

Grant,

Last year I had to run my coil indoors at a bar that was full of expensive
A/V equipment. Of course no good ground was available, but we were on the
first floor so I made a simple wire counterpoise (just 4 wires, each about 8
feet long) spread out and taped to the concrete floor in a cross pattern.
The center connection of this counterpoise went to both the secondary coil
base and to a cold water line about 25 feet away. All wire was 20 gauge
tinned copper with PVC insulation, except the base connection to my
secondary which is two 18 gauge wires in parallel (speaker wire pair just
twisted together at both ends).

The idea was that the counterpoise couples the RF energy into the ground and
the otherwise feeble ground connection (to the water line) is just there to
keep the couterpoise from floating at some arbitrarily high voltage. The
counterpoise wires, BTW were routed about 1 foot away from all of the audio
connections at the closest point (but generally as far away as possible,
also run off a separate 120V circuit). Also, I checked that the water line
was in fact grounded with a multimeter and a nearby 120 volt outlet.

Sparks were about 4 foot long (~1600 watts input, 2 MOT powered with "Terry
filter" on HV side), ground targets were a couple of fluorescent tubes. RFI
was worse when the coil was allowed to spark directly to the grounded bulbs,
but was still not bad in either case (i.e. I didn't fry anything or reboot
any computers). I believe that this is the case in general though, that when
you get low impedance ground sparks the interference is worse than with free
air streamers.

>From personal experience I would say that you are better off covering a
large area with low percentage filled (i.e. a few fine wires spread on the
floor) than a small area with a high percentage filled (i.e. a sheet of Al
foil). Wires are also much easier to wind up when you are done, and are
literally flexible enough to be used in many situations, as compared to
chicken wire or the like.

As always however, YMMV.

- Jason