Re: [TCML] Tuning a Tesla Coil with an Oscilloscope

> Hi Brandon (All),
>
> I think I'll definitely be taking this route. Still one problem though; I
> have no way of accurately measuring frequency! Can you (or anybody chiming
> in) suggest some test equipment I should use for this?

Using the TCT device, it doesnt matter if you know the frequency at all.
You connect it to your secondary with topload and approximate
streamer-length wire, then simply sweep
the dial through the range looking for the brightest glow of the LEDs.
Then, leaving the dial in the "bright spot" from the secondary,
connect it to the tank circuit (with the transformer and filter
disconnected)
and move the primary tap from turn to turn until the dimmest glow of
the LEDs is found, then fine tune along that turn, again
stopping at the "dim-spot" indicated by the LEDs on the TCT. (Be sure
to let go of the tap and step back when you take a reading.)
JavaTC will get you close, use the TCT device to verify, then fine-tune.