Re: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

I'll acknowledge all of your replies when I get the time, but in the mean
time, one more question while I remember it: How much would the output
voltage of the NSTs increase when the variac is turned up to 140V? If
that's going to make much of a difference I'll have to make my mmc a smidge
bigger. And for clarity,  a 22kV mmc of 942C's would be 'close enough' for
a 15kV RMS NST?

Thanks a ton,
Brandon H.

On Mar 25, 2013 4:23 AM, "Scott Bogard" <sdbogard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Scott Bogard.
>

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Brandon Hendershot <
> brandonhendershot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > Superb. I understood every word.
> > I'm thinking of keeping my 3.5" x 14" 29AWG secondary and adding a 4" x
16"
> > Topload beneath the existing 7.25" x 26". Do you think that would be
> > enough? I can't afford much error...
> >
> > What do you (all) think about using 240/360/480bps and a smaller
capacitor?
> > Or is it 120bps in itself that performs best with NSTs and not simply a
> > srsg..? Otherwise I was thinking of using 4 strings of 11 caps
> > (942C20P15K-f) to get 22kV at 54nf. I know this is close to the peak
output
> > of my NSTs, but I need to be as economical as possible. Just how unwise
is
> > this?
> >
> > I'll do some research on machining the rotor before I ask anything about
> > that.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > Brandon H.
> >
> > On Mar 24, 2013 8:43 AM, "Scott Bogard" <sdbogard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Brandon,
> > >      it looks like this post got side tracked into triggered gap
land, so
> > > I'll answer your questions in case nobody else has.  Ok firstly
looking
> > > over your proposed specs (whether or not you were asking for it) my
two
> > > cents...
> > > 15/120...  that is some serious power for NSTs, 1800 watts worth, and
> > that
> > > number 1800 is the basis for lots of our calculations (if you want to
do
> > it
> > > right, we must calculate.  -
> > > 7.25" x 26" Topload...  A bit under-gunned for that wattage, you
could go
> > > bigger for longer sparks, or leave it that size for multiple smaller
ones
> > > (the quick and dirty formula for top load size is (SQRT of watts) *
(.5
> > > though .9) = topload overall diameter in inches (.5 being multiple
> > > streamers, .9 being just one.))  I would go bigger, but I like big top
> > > loads only making one streamer.
> > > *- ~6" x 24" 25** AWG Secondary Coil (*subject to change(**especially
> > > so))...  This is a bit over-gunned for your wattage.  It does not
hurt to
> > > make a bigger coil, it is just unnecessary.  For reference I use a
four
> > > inch coil with about 2500 watts, but I like small coils with
ridiculous
> > > sparks.  The tend to look a bit silly, tiny coils dwarfed by their top
> > > loads, but when you turn them on, this attracts more attention to the
> > > sparks.
> > > Ok, the capacitance of your coil is very specifically dependent on
BPS.
> > > Let me enlighten you to a newbie mistake, I made for several years
after
> > > starting coiling, there are two systems one must "tune" in a TC.
 Firstly