Re: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

On 3/25/13 7:38 PM, Brandon Hendershot wrote:
I'll acknowledge all of your replies when I get the time, but in the mean
time, one more question while I remember it: How much would the output
voltage of the NSTs increase when the variac is turned up to 140V? If
that's going to make much of a difference I'll have to make my mmc a smidge
bigger. And for clarity,  a 22kV mmc of 942C's would be 'close enough' for
a 15kV RMS NST?

140/120 or 140/115 is the ratio you're interested in..
15kV *1.414 = 21.21 * 1.22 = 25.8 kV peak..

There's a whole discussion of how far beyond their ratings you can push those 942s about 10 years ago in the archives. Look for EMMC (Enhanced MMC). The short answer is, yeah, you can probably overvolt your 2kV caps by 5-10% without instantly destroying them. There's a certain amount of manufacturing tolerance anyway. Of course, you could get unlucky and have one of the caps that's on the low side of the tolerance..

http://www.tb3.com/tesla/capacitors/HistoryMMCs.html