Re: [TCML] Centre tapped mot stacks

Thanks Scott, this is helpful to know. Your observation that they fail quicker when grounded makes sense. I think this is why:

Grounding the inner mot cores causes the secondary winding to have a potential difference with respect to ground. Unfortunately the primary windings are also referenced to ground (through the neutral wire). Suddenly the primary coil becomes a nice pathway to ground so you probably get arcing from the secondary to the primary either directly or via the core.

Leaving the HV windings floating removes the reference to ground and thus any potential difference between the secondary and primary windings, consequently removing the appeal to arc to the primary.

The effect is akin to using an isolation transformer to allow a grounded person to safely work on electrical equipment.

This is my understanding at least. Ok, gonna give my mot stack a go.

Cheers,

Greg.

Sent from my phone