Re: [TCML] Centre tapped mot stacks

Thanks Ted.

The reason I asked the question to begin with was because I will be running mine in a 3 phase arrangement which would make running a centre tap impossible (it would short the phases). The lack of a definitive "no" to running floated has given me some hope that I will get my supply to work.

As for single phase supplies, I'm not convinced that setting a reference point for the centre of the winding will do anything to help improve voltage gradients within any given mot in the string. This is something which could be easily modelled if someone can be bothered.

I think it makes us feel "comfortable" knowing the exact voltage wrt ground, but frankly the TC primary circuit does not care. So far all I can see that it provides is increased danger and an increased likelihood of secondary to primary arcing within the mots.

I suspect the concept of grounding the centre tap has simply arisen from the early days when we first began using mots. To the first person who ran two in series, running them centre tapped, as they are in the microwave oven, would have made perfect sense. Then people just began adding additional transformers either side without questioning.

Anyway, I'm not exactly an expert, and I'm hoping that someone who knows more will enlighten. Appreciate your response.

Cheers,

Greg.

Sent from my phone