[Home][2015 Index] Re: [TCML] 3D printing [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] 3D printing

Em 22/10/2015 13:47, msweeney23@xxxxxxxxx escreveu:
Hello all I am thinking of picking up a 3D printer and am wondering if anyone has experience with using these for creating high-voltage compatible plastic components? Specifically I want to print out structural components for various projects including my VDG’s (align able roller assemblies) and a new tesla coil project (various items such as primary coil fixtures etc.)

I know there are different types of materials that can be used and one in particular looks promising as it can be heat-treated after printing at which point it hardness significantly and turns almost transparent. Some materials are also conductive which could be interesting.

I do not however know the insulation properties of these plastics, but I’m assuming they would be similar to other non-printed plastics?

I have experimented with ABS only. It is an excellent insulator, not very strong mechanically and somewhat flexible. Useless as dielectric in HV capacitors because of porosity. There are conductive versions, doped with carbon, that may be used at low-current applications (resistances of kohms). And of course, melts with heat.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz