[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Single piece "wound" ring toroid [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Single piece "wound" ring toroid

Matt,
Yes, that should work just fine. I'm thinking as long as the spacing between each adjacent turn of the selected tubing is equal to or less than the diameter of the said tubing, you should be just fine. Indeed, some coilers have already used your idea for really large coils, as far as winding 1" to 2" diameter aluminum tubing in reference to the major diameter of the toroid shape. Well, actually they are arranged in a vertically stacked ring formation, not one continuous long tube coiled into the shape, like this:http://www.lod.org/Projects/120L50K/toroidsmall.gif

|   |
|  |
|  |
| View on www.lod.org | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

I assume that you are referring to winding the tubing in reference to the minor diameter of the finished toroid? Either way, as long as you can manage the fabrication process, it should work fine. One thing that you may want to keep in mind, too, is that a large toroid (say like 8" minor dia. x 40" major dia. or larger) that is fabricated from copper tubing is going to start getting really heavy!
David