[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Pulse capacitor spec question [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Pulse capacitor spec question

Hi Steve,

That is correct. This means that the maximum peak-to-peak voltage swing in a ringing application would be 50 + 10 = 60 kV. In a relatively high-Q environment, such as a TC primary circuit, the peak charging voltage should be no more than half of this, or 30 kV to avoid accidentally overvolting the cap. Most Maxwell pulse capacitors have a 20% voltage reversal spec. A few "overbuilt" models go up to 80% VR, but more highly-stressed, physically-smaller units may only have 5-10% VR.

An easy to remember rule of thumb is to use a pulse capacitor that has a DC rating of at least 3X the maximum (worst-case) RMS output voltage of your HV supply transformer. This should include any step-up voltage coming from your Variac. For example, a tank cap driven from a 14.4 kV pig at 280 volts will need a minimum DC voltage rating of 14.4*(280/240)*3 = 50.4 kV (or higher) to meet its design lifetime.

Most "Maxwell" branded pulse caps you'll find on the surplus market are not self-healing, so overstressing them is considerably more risky (and unforgiving) than with self-healing MMC capacitor arrays.

Bert Hickman
Woodridge, Illinois

Steve White wrote:
I want to confirm my understanding of the maximum VR (voltage reversal) specification. If the spec states a maximum VR of 20%, I assume that this means that the capacitor can safely handle a 20% reversal of the maximum DC voltage spec. For example, if I had a capacitor with a maximum DC voltage rating of 50 KV and a maximum VR of 20%, then the capacitor could safely handle up 10 KV of reverse voltage or -10 KV volts. Is my interpretation correct?

Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa