From: "David Rieben" <drieben@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2018 11:25:25 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Pulse capacitor spec question

Steve,

In lieu of Jim’s or Bert’s response, I believe I can answer that question. The voltage reversal is based upon the rated DC voltage of the capacitor. So, for example, if you are running a 50 kV (w/20% VR) rated pulse cap with only 10 kV peak for a coil, then even with 85% VR at 10 kV (8500 volts), that would still be < the 20% VR rating of the cap’s 50 kV rating. Of course, you would also need to figure in the 1.41x RMS conversion to peak value for making this calculation as well. At least that’s my understanding of this. I’m sure Jim or Bert can chime and correctly me if my reasoning is askew, though.

David

Sent from my iPhone