Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2018 10:50 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] VDG

Doug,

    A pleasure,

    Earthing even a small VDG is a problem. I killed some electronics
from mine purely because they shared a common earth. The impulse can be
very large.

    I run mine from 12V as this removes some of the issues, but I still
kill my motor controller from time to time with a good discharge.

    But maybe I shouldn't have tried to do the motor control with a
microprocessor :)

    Derek

On 18-Feb-18 14:14, doug wrote:
Hi Derek, Thanks for your advice! I will be putting a grounded power cord on the VDG today, and I think it also may be wise to run it through a line filter I built from a Diagram Bert sent me!
Doug J.

-----Original Message----- From: Derek, Extreme Electronics
Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2018 4:08 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List

Doug,

    You must move some sort of ground, When a VDG strikes you can get
very large currents flowing especially in the loop of the discharge.
Ideally I would have a separate earth and not depend on the mains
wiring, else you can get spikes into other connected electrical powered
devices.

It is also important that the discharge cannot not make a connection to
the supply, otherwise you may have a long spark backed by mains current.
An earthed box covering the mains powered items is vital to prevent this.

Derek

On 16/02/2018 19:32, doug wrote:
For those also interested in VanDeGraaffs a question
This is a video of a VDG I just finished building, You will notice some strikes to the dimmer switch, would it be wise to use a 2 wire + ground for the AC hookup I have instead of the 2 wire only?
Doug

https://youtu.be/DlCD2jYjg2A