[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Need Energy Discharge Capacitor Information [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Need Energy Discharge Capacitor Information

Hi Chris,

These are also heavy-duty energy discharge caps, using a kraft paper-foil dielectric system. The Aerovox PM series are all rated at 20% voltage reversal, and no self-healing.

The low capacitance and dielectric system for your caps limit their use to low pulse-rate, very high-voltage applications, such as flash X-ray, Marx generators, exploding wire, or rock fragmentation work. The dielectric system will be fairly lossy for lower-voltage oscillatory applications, and the stored energy is limited for coin shrinking since work-coil flashover limits maximum cap voltage to 20-25 kV.

You might be able to get more information by directly contacting the folks at Aerovox. Unfortunately, many of their energy discharge caps are custom designs. This often binds Aerovox to non-disclosure agreements with their customers, preventing them from releasing even basic capacitor specs...

Best wishes,

Bert

Chris Reeland wrote:
Okay, to get back on track to the topic, I have been following this with
interest.
I also have a pair of energy discharge caps that I have picked up last year
for a future project that I can't find any info either. Any info would be
appreciated.
Aerovox:
PM104YW003D04
3.110 uF and 3.364 uF
100,000VDC
15K Joules

They are in a stainless steel case.

A couple of pictures also if I made a typo...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wPq4WEvYLuGbXKqM9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jTgwWWiTbqaEA9ph7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LHnuy85eBTaSZUP38

Thanks,