[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Adventures in SRSG [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Adventures in SRSG

Hi Dan,

Are your safety gaps set properly? If the rotary gap is not firing properly (missed firings), your tank cap and NST bank may be experiencing series resonant rise. This will show up as excessive primary current draw AND excessive NST and tank cap voltage. In this case, it will fry your Terry filter MOV's (best case) or overvolt your NST's or tank caps (worst case)...

Bert

Daniel Kunkel wrote:
I finally got my SRSG online tonight. To my dismay I started blowing 30 amp
fuses in my supply variac. I am hoping the list can help me figure out why
this is happening...we have guests coming over for Thanksgiving and they
are expecting a show!!! LOL

When I was running the previous setup using a vacuum quenched single gap,
my NST bank (15kv @ 120ma) was only pulling 10 amps using a total of 302 uF
in PFC caps. I was expecting similar performance with the rotary gap.

Basic specs are:
6.5 x 26.5" secondary with 1,057 turns or 22 awg
.033uF MMC
1.8 kva NST's
Terry Filter
1/2 HP, 3,600 RPM motor
2 flying electrodes (1/8" tungsten, through disc design), for 120 BPS

Thanks for any insight,
~Dan
Kansas City area