[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] SRSG strobe [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] SRSG strobe

Update:
I ditched my homemade balance wheel (made from 2x4's and 4 ball bearings)
and instead opted for a knife edge balancer (made from 2 metal straight
edges supported in a vise). The completed assembly (rotor, hub, G10 disc
without electrodes) needed 40 grains (2.59 grams) of weight to balance out.
The disc spins virtually vibration free now! Since this is such a small
amount of weight and not really feasible to grind a piece of tungsten to
this weight difference, I think I will use small shims/washers between the
disc and the shaft collar to make it balance.

I also was able to use a white LED hooked up to my variac to flash at 60
Hz. While not a perfect strobe, it clearly shows a fixed <90º arc from a
piece of masking tape on the disc, which is good enough for me to eyeball
the center of the arc and then use the phase controller to dial it in.

Thanks for all the comments and insight thus far,
~Dan
Kansas City area