[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] Asynchronous versus synchronous gaps, was Old Post [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Asynchronous versus synchronous gaps, was Old Post

Hi Jan,

Yes, thank you for highlight a very important aspect of async SG operation that I failed to mention in my posting. Higher bps rates that are several times the mains frequency, in addition to to generous power, are essential for optimal asynchronous coil operation. ~350 bps seems to be the approximate “sweet spot” for my pole pig powered and async spark gap driven coil. I use a DC permanent magnet motor (from a treadmill, I believe) for my rotary gap drive motor, with a rectified and variac controlled input to affect basically infinite speed control of 0 - 3500 rpm. Since there are 8 flying electrodes on my rotary disc, and the motor is rated for 130 VDC and 3500 rpm, I typically set my speed control variac between 70 and 75 on the dial for the “sweet spot”, with the variac set to deliver 0-120 volts (not 0-140 volts) output.

David

Sent from my iPhone