Re: Ferrite Cores - Where's the Gap? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:14:00 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Ferrite Cores - Where's the Gap? (fwd)

Hi Matthew,

On 8 Apr 2004, at 14:47, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

The first question has to be: does it just look like a TV LOPT or was
it actually taken out of a TV? If the latter, I have yet to see a TV
which does not employ a flyback topology for its LOP stage and the
transformer must therefore be gapped somehow. If it did not actually
come out of a television and doesn't have any gapping, it would not
have been used in a flyback type supply (hence, the supply must have
been a forward converter in some form).

> Can you confirm, therefore, what topology you consider to be a
> single-ended (switched DC) supply to be - which looks to all intents
> and purposes like flyback topology - but without the core gap?  In
> other words, take the gap out of a "flyback" transformer, and what do
> we get?

A topology which does not store (a useful amount of) energy in the
core. Forward topologies allow secondary current to flow while the
switch (ing transistor) is passing current through the primary
winding. Such supplies are rife - the cap charger in your flashgun is
most often this type of supply. All the one-shot cameras I've
examined have one and use the same basic circuit. Incidentally, the
design in those is rather clever and, as one might expect from the
use of a single 1.5V alkaline battery giving about 20 flashes of 5 -
7J, quite efficient.

    Given that a flyback supply only allows current to flow in one
winding at a time, by noting the sense of the windings together with
the direction of the output diode and taking into consideration the
polarity which must be present across each winding at any given
instant (in conjunction with the presence or absence of core
gapping), you can determine which topology is being employed.

Malcolm