Re: joining stainless steel

Original poster: "Jim Monte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <JDM95003-at-UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU>

Hi,

These could be TIG welded together.  Besides being careful about
warpage, make sure you back purge the area being welded.  This is
accomplished by shielding the underside (inside for the bowls) with
an inert gas.  If you don't do this, the metal will oxidize into
ugly black lumps where it is not shielded.  While it would not be
visible in this case, it makes for a weak weld.  The typical wire
wire to use would be 308 or 308L stainless, maybe 1/16" diameter.
I have found that it is easier to make a nice-looking weld on
stainless steel than regular mild steel.

Jim Monte

>Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 17:13:25 -0700
>Subject: joining stainless steel
>Original poster: "Steve Cook by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Steve-at-g8cyerichmond.freeserve.co.uk