RE: question

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Godfrey,

>In your original mailing, you wrote like you were talking about the
secondary. But a secondary is not flat,

Mine is.  I wound a 27" diameter flat spiral secondary out of 21 gage wire.
I'm doing several experiments with flat spiral secondaries.  You can see
some of my work with smaller flat spirals wound with three parallel wires at
my web site www.tesla-coil-builder-dot-com.

>What you call a potential transformer just might be a high voltage testing
transformer.

I'm learning a bit more about this transformer today.  I may have been wrong
in stating it was DC output.  The transformer schematic on the cover shows a
positive and negative terminal with arrows supposedly indicating the
direction of current.  But this may simply mean that one terminal is
intended to be on the ground side and the output may be AC after all.  It's
an older transformer made by Westinghouse and I have much to learn about it.
One person has suggested to me that it is actually an old style neon sign
transformer.  It has a winding ratio of 120 to 1 and there is nothing
indicating there is a rectifier inside.

If this is correct, then I have an old 14.4KV neon sign transformer rated
for 50KV peak.  The label clearly identifies this transformer as a Potential
Transformer.  Perhaps the two are synonymous?  Are there any experts on this
list who can clarify this terminology?

David Thomson
dave-at-volantis-dot-org <mailto:dave-at-volantis-dot-org>