Flat Spiral Winding Techniques

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

I tried winding a flat spiral coil between two sheets of 1/4" Plexiglas
yesterday.  The coil wound perfectly.  However, when I tried to heat the
Plexiglas, the copper wire expanded within the Plexiglas sandwich and the wires
made a mess.  Scratch the melted Plexiglas idea.

I'm now making a jig to expedite winding a coil and covering it with
polyurethane and polymer coating.  I'll let you know how this goes.  So far the
best method I have found is to spray the surface being wound with spray
adhesive (the stuff sold at auto stores for repairing headliners) and allow the
coating to dry for two days before winding by pressing the wire on.  After
winding, I keep the wires held down with bricks and polyurethane a small
segment at a time, ever other day or so.  The polymer coating on top of the
polyurethane makes an excellent dielectric sealer for the coil.

Dave