making a motor synch?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

Hi all,

I decided to try to redo the ASRG of my big coil and try to
go sync with the motor. I took the motor apart and ground
2 flats on the rotor (3450 rpm) and then slapped it back to-
gether. I tried the paint marks on the disc attached to the
shaft (was one of the original RSG lexan disc). I turned it
on under flourescent lights of my shop but could not spot
the white paint marks on the disc. Did hear the motor mak-
ing a wa-wa-wa-wa sound though. Does this mean that she
is synching? The motor does seem to have less torque and
also seems to get pretty warm to the touch with just a few
minutes of operation like this. I know many have stated
that it's really hard to get the strobe affect under flourescent
lights. Also some have stated to just place a temporary
cardboard disc on the shaft for strobing. Anyway, I was also
planning on replacing the lexan discs and 3/8" brass allthread
rotory electrodes w/ G-10 disc and 1/4" tungsten rotory elec-
trodes. I will probably have to have the G-10 disc cut out by
someone with good machining facilities as I certainly don't
have that myself.

I suppose that only 2 rotory electrodes is all that's needed
on the rotory disc for 120 bps if I'm going to run synch. I
may also have to redo the whole coil since the lower 120
bps in synch will dictate a larger primary capacitor to be
able to fully charge in each half cycle. Hey, this may turn
out to be more of a project than I had originally planned :^0
Of course I'll probably also have to build John Freau's phase
controler to be able to get the SRSG to fire at the voltage
peaks....

I think Terry has printed some instructions for the synching
procedure somewhere on hotstreamer, but I can't locate it...

Thanks for any help,

David Rieben