Re: transformers in oil?

Original poster: "james brady by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <james_brady10-at-hotmail-dot-com>

that's rocking. very good info.

does anyone have any pictures or diagrams? i would like to see how this
might be put together.

i have a MOT, so i would take that transformer, place it in a container and
then fill the container with oil? i would have to drill holes in the
container for the wires to extend out. but as long as it's airtight it
should work? i was thinking that if you could have an oil pump that
circulates the oil, like a transmission that has an oil cooler, that this
might be even better. would this work? also, i would think that the colder
the oil, the better- right?

i think that i should do this in the garage, my wife would kill me if i
spilled oil in the living room. <:)

jlbrady -richmond, va.

 >Oil immersion is a standard HV technique. Not only does it provide
 >better cooling, but the breakdown voltage of oil is substantially
 >higher than that of air.
 >
 >All those transformers you see hanging on power poles and sitting on
 >concrete pads are full of oil.
 >
 >Issues with oil immersion:
 >1) Leaks... oil is messy
 >2) Servicing.. when you need to change something, you've got to pull
 >it out of the oil, bringing back to point 1: oil is messy
 >3) oil is heavy.. not a problem for a big multi thousand pound
 >transformer sitting on a concrete pad, big problem if you're trying
 >to lift it into the back of your car.
 >4) you need to keep the oil reasonably clean and dry if you are
 >concerned about dielectric properties.
 >
 >As for containers, anything will do, but remember #1, above...
 >Most all plastic containers with lids leak a bit, no matter how much
 >silicone you glop on. I don't know whether it's because you can't
 >get them clean enough or the flexing under temperature and air
 >pressure changes, or what. Plastic also cracks.
 >
 >Big PVC pipe and fittings work quite nicely, and can be glued to be
 >oil-tight.
 >
 >Rubbermaid-type plastic work, in the short run, but eventually,
 >you'll spill. The white 5 gallon buckets work fairly well, but it's
 >hard to get wires in and out with an oil-tight seal.
 >
 >Metal tanks are used in industrial equipment, usually with gaskets
 >and breathers designed to keep the oil in and water out. The metal
 >tank also provides a way to ground the enclosure for safety. But,
 >metal tanks are heavy.
 >
 >At 12:08 PM 2/24/2003 -0700, you wrote:
 >>Original poster: "James Brady by way of Terry Fritz
 >>"
 >>
 >>you can actually put the transformer directly in oil??? what
 >>kind-of
 >>container does it have to be in?
 >>
 >>i have never seen anyone do this. i guess, that the purpose is to
 >>keep it
 >>from over heating?

MSN 8 helps <http://g.msn-dot-com/8HMQENUS/2752>ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2
months FREE*.