Re: [TCML] STRIATIONS Argon

I have seen photos of a long plastic tube filled with argon (possibly partly pumped down) attatched to a TC that gave a spark or rather glow in the tube many meters long. The argon "smoke ring" should work at the expense of a lot of argon. At best 10% of the output of a smoke machine remains in the ring. It might take a bit to get a good photo. On my to do list. along with a lot of other argon stuff.

Peter

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Phillips" <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 5:10 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] STRIATIONS

Another semi-offtopic "cool demo" idea.  I have heard that argon gas makes
the sparks larger/longer?  Someone once suggested that I get one of those
smoke ring launchers (http://www.zerotoys.com/newsite/products.htm) and
shoot argon gas rings at the topload for a lightning donut effect."

That one sounds interesting but wonder if it would be possible to generate a high enough concentration to do anything? Seems to me guys here have talked about filling a big plastic bag with helium and attaching it to the top terminal. I believe that Bill Beatty has described some interesting experiments along these lines.

Ed