Re: [TCML] MMC Caps

Hi All,

I fully concur with Bart's comments about MMC's and Terry's work
regarding those. For a program, he created, see here:

http://deanostoybox.com/hot-streamer/TeslaCoils/Programs/programs.htm

Terry's original DOS program has been tried to be transformed
(approximately!) into an EXCEL by myself. See the zipped form here:
http://deanostoybox.com/hot-streamer/TeslaCoils/Programs/MMCCALC2.ZIP
The MMC's calculated by the program are a bit on the edge, regarding
voltage/corona. They will last about < 70...80hrs netto TC service IIRC.
This was also measured and estimated by Terry Fritz. Sizing an MMC by
AC-specifications may result in a more lasting device. Terry might chime
in here...

Some formulae of the calculation are explained here:
http://deanostoybox.com/hot-streamer/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/MMCPower4.html

Regards
Kurt Schraner

bartb wrote:
Hi All,

Before assuming too much, maybe dig into the TCML archives to find out
the history of MMC's in TC use. The "guy" referred to below is none
other than one of the best moderators the TCML has ever had the
pleasure to moderate this great list - Terry Fritz. Terry has done
more for the advancement of Tesla Coil theory, measurements, and
construction than anyone I know of. And Terry had some of the best
equipment most coilers only dream of. Take a peak at Terry's testing
of MMC's back in the day when people were still building salt water
caps, rolled poly caps, and the like.

http://www.classictesla.com/hot-streamer/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm

Most everything you need to know regarding his testing of MMC's is
documented there. Also, take a look at the list archives to get a
better comprehension of history and facts (sure beats putting foot in
mouth). It's always easy to reverse engineer anything as opposed to
doing it creatively for the first time. I don't remember how the
940's got on the bad list, but knowing Terry, there was probably a
reason (maybe end foil construction, maybe the application of the
time, maybe to play it safe given MMC's were relatively new then).

Of course, many caps even on the bad cap list can be used as long as
their parameters are not exceeded (this is key to just about
everything isn't it?). And isn't this all that Steve was saying in
his reply? So often we rely on listings or even envision some super
program that just spits out everything perfectly. Nah, don't rely on
that, do the math and define those parameters. Then see if your cap
would be a good fit. If you don't know the math off the top of your
head then guess what (no one does). RESEARCH IT. If you can't do
that, then your forced to rely on recommendations.

Just food for thought for those that were not part of that great era
on the TCML.
Take care,
Bart

Joe Mastroianni wrote:

And I don't know why that guy put that info on his website  that
says "KNOWN BAD CAPS FOR TESLA COILS".   Seriously, don't know if he
had a bad experience or just heard a rumor.  So you can't believe
what you read on websites and on newsgroups. Imagine that. And if there is some way a guy building a coil in his garage with
the instruments he's got at hand is supposed to be able to measure
all that precisely, let me know.  I've got as much test equipment as
the next guy, but not everyone does.