Re: [TCML] Magnifier topics

David Sharpe wrote:
> It will be very interesting to see if there is a base current
> (i.e. resonator drive current) increase with and without the
> IDR ring.

Peak base current should be about the same, with or without the
IDR - it is set by the bang energy,   Coupling will be higher
with the IDR in place so the peak will arrive earlier.

> it appears on surface that there will be no severe voltage
> gradients laterally up the driver secondary with the IDR

Well the vertical voltage gradients are 70% or so higher with
the IDR.  This is the voltage due to primary induction alone,
ie no secondary current flowing.  I had wondered whether
the IDR would concentrate the flux too much.   I should be
suggesting that a more spread out flux from the primary is
desirable in order to reduce HF transients.  As it happens the
overall coupling does look quite spread out, at least when
the primary is far from the IDR. We can see a separate peak
in the voltage gradient due to the upper primary.

On 23rd you mentioned

> I will upload measurements on an earlier system built to these
> general guide line

Maybe that one can be modelled to check the modelling process?
Otherwise, we'll just have to wait until you've built the primary
assembly.  If the combined inductance comes out about right for
each separation setting, then the model can't be too far out.

Why the multilayer L2?
--
Paul Nicholson