Re: [TCML] high frequency wave propagation along secondary coils

Hi Steve,

Sudden external voltage changes have causes insulation failures between adjacent turns near the termination ends of power and distribution transformer windings. This has been a rather common problem for transformers that are hit with switching transients, especially from vacuum contactors. However, when this occurs, it tends to show up on the end of the winding nearest to the voltage transient, not at the remote end.

A more likely candidate may be ground bounce as charged topload capacitance rapidly dumps into local ground. If there is significant path inductance between the secondary base/strike rail and the local ground (where the grounded ends of the HV E-fields terminate), AND if the ground arc connects to the strike rail, it's possible that the coil base voltage spikes to the point of causing a secondary-primary flash-over and subsequent turn-to-turn fusing.

You might try adding a small grounded counterpoise that's also connected to the strike rail and other nearby metallic objects so that most of the capacitive discharge current flows directly between the topload and its matching capacitor "plate" rather than having to take a more roundabout (i.e., more inductive and resistive) path back to the local ground.

This has not been a common problem, so the Pupman Archive will likely not be of much help. Since it only affects one coil, you may have accidentally damaged the wire or the winding or that particular spool of wire may have had an insulation defect.

Good luck,

Bert
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Steve Ward wrote:
Hi List,

Im hoping to get some minds to check my thinking here on a problem I'm
encountering on a job.  Lets get down to what im thinking about:

During a ground discharge, the voltage at the topload has been
measured to collapse within 100nS (worst case) and 250nS (more
typical).  This measurement was just a simple scope probe in the air
to look at the changing E-field.  So, what happens during this event
is a wave front propagates down from the top of the coil.  I suspect
this wavefront eventually "crashes" into the base of the coil,
applying some over-voltage to the bottom end of the coil due to the
fact that its a very abrupt change in impedance (in terms of TL
theory, its like a short).  Sort of like waves in water, the presence
of land causes the wavefront to steepen as they come to shore, rather
than simply reflecting off a wall.

Now, the capacitance from end to end of the secondary (including the
capacitance from the topload to the coil) should essentially provide
dispersion, making this wave-front not so steep, but i dont have the
time or mental capacity to work out how big of an effect this is.  So
I tried my hand at getting a rough estimate of what distance this
wavefront might exist over.  So to figure out this length, i figured
out the propagation speed assuming the secondary capacitance was
evenly distributed along the coil, and using the coil's self
inductance.  The Cself (from java TC) is 12pF (12.75x46" winding), and
the Lsec is ~306mH.  If i use:

VF = 1/(c*sqrt(LC))

i get a propagation constant of .001739c (really SLOW!), or 521853m/s.
  For a 100nS long wavefront, this should take up a length of just
5.2cm (about 2").  Of course, dispersion probably makes this distance
considerably longer, but as i said, i have no idea how much it helps.
By the way, i used to design high-speed kicker magnets, so I'm fairly
familiar with transmissions lines and their non-ideal behaviors
(though its been awhile).

So, my question:  Does my line of thinking make sense?  Could ground
strikes responsible for damaging secondary coils right near the bottom
of the winding?  Has the TSSP project looked into what happens during
ground arc events (step inputs at the top end of the coil)?

Anyway, the "problem" is that ive got a coil here that developed a
shorted turn right at the bottom 3/4" of the winding, which is
something ive never had happen before.  There is a generous 2"
clearance between primary and secondary so i dont think it was a
flashover that caused it.  Im basically trying to rule out if its a
fundamental problem (due to this HV wavefront theory) or simply
defective materials.

One idea i think is worth exploring would be space winding the bottom
portion of the coil.  This would provide possibly a softer transition
in impedance, and would also allow for insulation between turns making
it much more robust to turns shorting out.

Other than this single failure, the other machines (7 other identical
ones) have been quite well behaved, though we did have flashovers from
the strike rail to the lower portion of the secondary coil (maybe also
related to my suggested HV wavefront theory).  I should mention, we
had to use spherical toploads (33" diameter) instead of conventional
toroids, i suspect this doesnt help matters.

TCML archive searches havent been very helpful on this topic (maybe im
picking the wrong words).  This cant possibly be the first time
someone has asked about such phenomena.

Thanks,

Steve Ward