Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:53 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Burnt Joint (Cap Bank)

Mike,
avoid black materials.
In many cases the black pigment will be carbon and that's conductive.

You've got a 500VA NST, based on this, the max. achievable spark length is
97cm or 38".
If you'd eventually build a coil half that size maybe. So 10x50cm as you
propose will do fine.
When you want to increase secondary sizes, a wider diameter coil will
perform better than a taller coil

Regards,
Mark