[Home][2017 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla Current Draw [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla Current Draw

Unfortunately, it's difficult to experiment with two cap values to see
which works better - you can't change just the cap without changing other
things (primary coil and/or top load) to keep it all in tune.  How do you
know if the capacitor made the difference or the other thing(s)?  If you
already have a .03uF cap, I would just go with that, otherwise you'll end
up building two completely different coils.  But kudos to you if you do
that!

The mains-resonant (MR) cap size for a 15/120 NST @60Hz is .021uF, and
15/135 would be a tad larger, so .015uF is *smaller* than resonant.  I'm
not sure that an MR size is something to avoid at all costs.  It's only a
hazard if static gaps are opened wider than is safe, or if an RSG is used
without properly set safety gaps.  The advice to avoid MR caps is
principally for newbies without the self-discipline and understanding to
avoid opening up the gap to the point of self-destruction.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA