[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Best Spark Gap for NSTs? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Best Spark Gap for NSTs?

The answer of course is "It Depends"...

As John Freau said -  120 bps sparks will not be quite as bright as higher
breakrate sparks.
This is absolutely true.  My quest for "better performance" was governed
strictly by longest spark measurements, and towards that goal, an SRSG is
definitely the best gap choice. Bragging rights are yours, but the truth of
the matter is, the sparks were very dim when compared with the same (sorta)
coil with a smaller cap and static gap.

The best cap size research I performed didn't address SRSG setups, just
static gaps, but it's a good read.  The paper never made it to my website
but is shared by this Google Doc link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0afsm3K5nFYNGQ3MmJlZGEtYjQ5My00OTJhLTkwNDMtOWEwMjRkYWJkZjAy/view?usp=sharing
It's worth pointing out that the metric of the paper is a simplistic but
worthy maximum power throughput.  Whether or not this correlates to most
impressive looking sparks or longest sparks is another conversation worth
having.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Virus-free.