[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] High Voltage Capacitor Oil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] High Voltage Capacitor Oil

Hi Paul,

Thanks - that info was a big help.

BTDP is Maxwell's abbreviation for benzyltoluene/diphenylethane, a mixture of benzyltoluene (CAS 27776-01-8, 60%) and diphenylethane (CAS 612-00-0, 40%) by molecular weight. BTDP was a low-flammability low-viscosity alternative to PCB's that was introduced in the 1980's for high-voltage capacitors. It absorbs hydrogen gas (which is liberated during partial discharges/corona under oil) better than mineral oils, and it has a significantly higher static dielectric constant than mineral oil. Commercially-available formulations that have a similar mixture included Jarylec C100, and Nisseki SAS-40E, or SAS-60E.

I don't know these are readily available to private customers. So... if you can't get any of the above dielectric fluids, substitute mineral oil and hope for the best. :)

Could you please let us know the results of your repair. Other folks on the Pupman list may also have pulse caps with damaged cases.

And, good luck!

Bert

Paul McGlen wrote:
Hi Bert,

Thanks for the response.

This is the information that I have:
It's a Maxwell (now General Atomic - model 37330, using their proprietary
"oil". Impregnant: BTDP

Regards
Paul

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 10:04 PM Bert Hickman <bert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Paul,

If you can provide links to images of your capacitors, especially the
face-plate, label, or stamped info, or if you can provide manufacturer
info and model number, there is a possibility that we can identify the
type of dielectric fluid. Was "Atomic Research" the manufacturer or
perhaps the application they came from?

As Jim Lux indicated, a large variety of capacitor dielectric fluids and
blends have been used in HV capacitors over the last half century. Many
of these fluids were proprietary and not readily available to a casual
hobbyist and others (such as PCB's) are no longer available. And some
benzine-based "aromatic" fluids were more volatile than others, so its
possible that the capacitor rolls may have partially dried out.

The easiest fix is to try adding mineral oil and resealing it. before
resealing, drawing a partial vacuum for 24 hours or so may help to
remove entrapped air inside the rolls if they've partially dried out.
Finally, if the cap is packaged in a cylindrical container, remember to
leave a small air bubble in the cap to provide room for expansion of the
capacitor rolls especially if you plan to use the cap for Tesla Coil
operation. The repaired cap should be usable, but you may need to derate
its operating voltage...

Bert

Paul McGlen wrote:
Hi All,
I recently acquired some Atomic Research Pulse Capacitors. They are 50kV
and 100nF, however, one of them was damaged and the oil has leaked out,
so
I need to replace this. Does anyone know what this oil is and where I can
get it. If not can I replace it with high voltage transformer oil?

Cheers.